As a homeowner, you may at some point have worried about expensive maintenance that may be required in the future. Unfortunately, replacing your roof is one, if not the most expensive activity that you can undertake, but sometimes it is absolutely essential to prevent further damage to your property. You should bear in mind that it is considerably easier to undertake this kind of work during the summer months, and that taking action as soon as possible is always wise to prevent any further issues.
Let’s take a look at some of the most common reasons for replacing or repairing your roof.
- If your roof has suffered catastrophic damage from a fire, storm, or other disaster, obviously you will need to get it replaced immediately to prevent further damage to your property. Also, indirect damage can be caused from tree branches being blown into your roof, for example. Remember, trying to repair smaller areas of damage may be less economical than having your whole roof replaced in the long run, depending on its age.
- If there is visible damage or disrepair to the roof, such as curling shingles. This is a sign that there is underlying wear or weathering to the roof, and that further damage may result if it is not dealt with promptly.
- If your shingles are discolored from moss, algae, or just from weathering, you may choose to have them replaced purely to improve the appearance of your home.
- If your roof is more than a few years old, and you are finding granules or particles in your gutter, this is a sign that the shingles are starting to break down from weather conditions and will need to be replaced. If your roof is new, and you are finding this, don’t panic because it’s quite normal just after your shingles have been fitted.
- Sunlight is coming through into your attic. This is a fairly serious issue as any hole that can let light in can let water in too. If your attic were to become flooded you would have a huge bill on your hands so get this one done quickly. And don’t forget, holes in your roof can attract birds, bats or rodents that will cause further damage and require the assistance of a pest controller.
- Your roof is bowing or sagging. This will require immediate attention, as it can indicate severe structural defects with your roof.
- Your shingles are cracked. If it’s just one or two, you could have them replaced, but if it’s more widespread, you will need to start considering investing in a new roof.
- Increasing your property value. A brand new roof can make your home look more attractive and transform the appearance of an older home. Adding curb appeal will make selling your property much easier and raise its value compared to similar properties with old roofs.
- As a part of an extensive home extension or remodeling. If you are planning a loft conversion or extension, for example, you will inevitably need to replace your old roof.
If you want reliable services, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us. We will offer premium services at great prices.